Lizreader

Lizreader's Blog

The Mists of Avalon
Marion Zimmer Bradley
Warm Bodies - Isaac Marion When authors say this, "This YA thing is going to be a rash on my eyeballs for this book's entire run..." then I am not going to read this book.When the author is getting bothered by how the book is getting marketed by some people or where they put it in the bookstore (or the fact that an author like Maggie Stievater raves about it) they get upset. Wouldn't an author be happy with the attention it is getting so he can write more books? So what if some people see the crossover appeal? Other authors have experienced the same thing such as Erin Morgenstern with The Night Circus (which is an adult novel), but had crossover appeal. She isn't getting upset about it. I also have to say this part was a part of a larger paragraph but this really annoyed me."The only function the YA label can really serve is to warn adult readers, "Stay away from this if you want substance." Which is really unfortunate, because no doubt a lot of substantial books get buried by this label." There are YA books out there with substance. YA has been around before it was called "YA" it was known as advanced readers/teen readers when I was growing up. The thing about marketing is that it's a fickle thing. Warm Bodies is an adult book, but has crossover appeal. Books are sometimes hard to place in a certain category, and at the end of the day the work should literally speak for itself--not the label. Does that mean children's books don't have substance to because I know that is not true at all. Not reading. Be careful what you say and what gets out in the open. **Quotes found on Read Now Sleep Later's blog YA Shame and Stigma. It comes up on Google search, but I don't know why I link it won't come up.***