Lizreader

Lizreader's Blog

The Mists of Avalon
Marion Zimmer Bradley
Unteachable - Leah Raeder Cue The Police song "Don't Stand So Close to Me"Wow. Wow. Wow. Wow. Wow.To be frank and honest I was unsure if I would like this book at all. It's not my normal fair. I tend to like clean romances, but not against steamy scenes. It's just I like to see character development more than just...well you know "steam." Anyways, Leah Raeder has done a wonderful job writing a compelling story about flawed characters, she pushes the envelope with a relationship that should make your hairs stick out for it's taboo, and where every single character adds to the story. I'm dubious of the New Adult category, and to be honest I never thought I would read a book in it. This is my first, but besides the characters the writing is quite well done for a self-published novel. It's competently edited and the writing is smooth. Although, she can go a bit overboard with the metaphors at times. Still, its a smooth read.I tend to be that person who hates large age differences. This relationship is screwed up, but the one part why I was rooting for them: they were on equal footing. They were both off kilter, both hurting, and both needed to find someone to ground themselves. Feeling too young, too old, and to deal with life in all it's gruesome glory. It was compelling and interesting, and I enjoyed myself quite a bit. Although, my cheeks did blush during a few scenes...Wow. I never though I would like a book like this, but hey things can change.