Lizreader

Lizreader's Blog

The Mists of Avalon
Marion Zimmer Bradley
A Child Called "It" - Dave Pelzer This is the only book I have ever read that has truly made me cry, tear up, and absolutely want to stop reading this book because I thought that nothing would get better.I read this in the sixth grade. It was recommended to me by my sixth grade Literature instructor to read it. She had a book shelf that we were allowed to check out books and return them when we were done. I checked this book out, and I held it in my arms as I gave it back to her. Her question was: What did you think?What I think is when I read reviews of people who say this is "made up". Yes, I am aware that there is controversy surrounding his work but would someone really make a lot of this stuff up? Like a girl breaking her hip during dance class. I knew someone that happened to, so it's not unlikely. The same thing as with the assertions that Dave Pelzer makes in his book. This is a non-fiction piece, but it's creative non-fiction. The truth in this book is how he sees it. It's not like the other author who I forget his name who wrote about his past with alcohol and now writes under a pseudonym for the Lorian Legacy series. This is the truth as how he sees is, and his brother backs it up. His other brother, I am aware, denies any of this happened. It can seem a bit faulty, but at the time I read this is how I am going to review it.It's a horrifying book to read. One might think that maybe I was a bit too young to read this book, but I was a mature reader and understood what I was reading. It's why I was crying. The things that happened to him seem unrealistic, but who am I to judge? I wasn't there, and if this is his "truth" than so be it. I don't know why a former child abuse victim would want to write those kinds of things if it didn't happen to him. Anyways, this was a great book to read. It's really hard to get through, but I am not like those who think that the author is "profiting" from child abuse. He's a speaker about overcoming adversity, the same as people who escape totalitarian regimes or former child soldiers. It's not easy to pull oneself out of that kind of nightmare, give the author some legitimacy for at least starting to talk about it and heal from it.