Lizreader

Lizreader's Blog

The Mists of Avalon
Marion Zimmer Bradley
Greta and the Goblin King - Chloe Jacobs I've been meaning to write a review for this book for awhile, but I've been sidetracked among other things.My biggest problem with this book is that it started out with a bang, and I thought it would get better and better. It didn't. In fact, I don't think I've ever read a book that slid so far down, so fast. It's my biggest pet peeves with books, which start off so good and can never redeem themselves. This book suffered from a problem that is immensely annoying, and that there was no real character development. I mean, the two characters of Greta and Issac went around and around and AROUND with their dialogue. It got super annoying after awhile, and this book, in a lot of ways I wish was a lot more like "Nevermore" between the two opposing characters who fall in love. It wasn't, and it got to the point that I couldn't believe the romance at all. The concept itself I thought would be a lot more like "Labyrinth." However, the the world itself might be interesting, but it didn't feel like there was any real depth too it. In a lot of ways, it felt pretty cookie cutter and the only thing that the book did satisfy is the never ending need for tension. I mean tension is important, don't get me wrong, but sometimes subtlety is needed. I also found the the whole subplot with the "lost boys" rather irritating, and I didn't think there would be a love triangle in this book but then it came into focus. It's a shame. I don't mind love triangles, but don't just add them in for tension please. It's ridiculous. In conclusion, I recommend "Nevermore" if you want something that is slightly different between two completely different characters because it is a much better plot, characters, and overall feeling.