Lizreader

Lizreader's Blog

The Mists of Avalon
Marion Zimmer Bradley
The Sandman, Vol. 10: The Wake - Neil Gaiman, Mikal Gilmore, Michael Zulli, Charles Vess My journey with Neil Gaiman's The Sandman series can be compared with a departure of a long lost friend. That it went by too fast, and it's too soon to end. Once I started reading this series, there was no going back to the way it was. This series is often times lyrical, equal parts disturbing and haunting, but overall very beautiful because it's about stories. The last chapter, titled "The Tempest" sums up the series perfectly. This series was my first introduction into graphic novels, and what a series to pick. Often times called the comic book series for intellectuals it's filled with the unexpected. The heroes are anti-heroes, Death is rather quite lovely and fun, and the spanning of different cultures and art styles within each volume never ceases to amaze me. This is a graphic novel series I would recommend to anyone who wants something different and, equally, memorizing. You can also see Neil Gaiman grow as a writer over the course of this series.If you are not familiar with this series it's about the Endless, a family of beings who represent aspects of abstractions of ideas that we have. The title character is the King of Dreams, Morpheus, but in this particular volume Morpheus is no more. From the beginning of the series Morpheus is caught by some occultist and held captive for centuries until he breaks free and travels to find his things. From there the story spans centuries, cultures, people, places, and all heartbreaking and haunting at the same time.