Lizreader

Lizreader's Blog

The Mists of Avalon
Marion Zimmer Bradley
To Kill a Mockingbird - Harper Lee Lee There are books, and then there are books. To Kill a Mockingbird is one of those books. A lot of people will think this book is "naive" "preachy" "unbelievable." However, I do not think those at all. In fact, To Kill a Mockingbird has probably become one of my favorite all time books I have ever read in my entire life--outstripping Charles Dicken's "A Tale of Two Cities." That's really hard to top, by the way. To begin with, as I wrote in my earlier and shorter review, this book is brilliant. Beyond brilliant really. As a writer, it's authors like Harper Lee who inspire me to do what I love. To write something that is meaningful and that can be cherished for years to come. (She also makes me extremely envious). This book is in no way pretentious, in a lot of ways it has humor, warmth, and a magical quality that sucks you in from the very first page and makes it hard to put down. To begin, the story is told from Jean Louis "Scout" Finch's point of view, and about her life in a small southern Alabama town with her brother Jem Finch and her lawyer father Atticus Finch, and their housemaid Cal. The book revolves around their life, and the people within the small town. As well as the trial of one Tom Robinson. Harper Lee's "To Kill a Mockingbird" is considered a classic of American literature, and I will have to say that there is without a doubt a classic because of how it makes me feel as a reader. There is innocence in it, there is racism in it, there is the marvels of growing up in it, and, finally, there is a relationship between a father, his daughter and his son written in such a profound and intelligent manner. One of the reasons why I adore this book is not for the themes that are prevalent throughout this book, or the preachy qualities that pervades the entire novel (but does it extremely well that you are not bothered by it). It is the fact that Harper Lee writes the relationship between Scout and Atticus Finch so well. I'm always looking for good father/daughter relationship stories and it just seems sometimes hard to find the good ones. So many times, those stories are filled up with distance, fights, and the focus being one over the other. "To Kill a Mockingbird" has all of that, but at the end of the day it has a whole lot more heart. The final pages brought me close to tears, and throughout the book I couldn't help but think that Scout and Jem were some of the luckiest literary characters to have a father like that. In a lot of ways, my own father has been Atticus-like in many ways in my life. I believe Atticus Finch is the sort of character that anyone can aspire to be like.I don't cry when I read books, but when I read this book I was very close to it in some ways. It's one of those kinds of books where I want to read it again, and again soon after I had just finished it. Not a lot of books can do that, and I am so ashamed that I have not read this book till now. I am really ashamed, but I think in a lot of ways I can enjoy it more than reading it in a classroom and I will get a lot more enjoyment out of it because I am reading it on my own terms. Anyways, I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS BOOK TO EVERYONE. EVERYONE SHOULD READ THIS BOOK. IF YOU HAVE NOT READ IT IN SCHOOL, YOU SHOULD READ IT NOW. RIGHT AWAY! GO TO THE LIBRARY OR A LOCAL BOOKSTORE AND BUY IT. IT'S A CLASSIC AND MUST BE READ.