Lizreader

Lizreader's Blog

The Mists of Avalon
Marion Zimmer Bradley
Eleanor & Park - Rainbow Rowell Well, I am not sure what to say about this book.It was sweet, had heartbreaking moments but not enough for me to cry, and the story ended on a bittersweet note. It's hard for me to really like young-love, romance stories because they are always so cheesy about being in love forever and that they can stop the world. The Romance stories I have read so far like "Lola and the Boy Next Door" and "Anna and the French Kiss" and Gayle Foreman, Sarah Dessen, or John Green books always feel a bit forced. Stephanie Perkins writes quirky characters, but everything ends happily ever after. Gayle Foreman writes characters I can relate with and nothing ends happily ever after with her. I like the stories that are bittersweet rather than happily ever after. Life isn't always so sweet, which people like Gayle Foreman, John Green, and Rainbow Rowell seem to get. My main problem with this book is Richie who is a douche, jerk, bastard, and a long list of expletives that I shouldn't write. However, we aren't supposed to like him at all.When it comes to the writing I can't really complain. It's pretty smooth, if nothing to really get your heart racing with swooning lines or make you wish that you wrote that. There aren't a lot of lines that I can remember, but the dialogue felt natural. That's a good thing in my book. I hate how dialogue doesn't feel natural when you read it, and it was.I feel like I do like this book, but at the same time it isn't up there with the romances I really liked (Gayle Foreman books or John Green's The Fault in Our Stars). There were a lot of moments that were tear-jerker to some people, but I wasn't one of them. I don't know, I guess I kind of expected the final outcome. I mean I did like this book, and there isn't much to complain about. It's nice to see a change in pace where the main characters are not blonde, skinny, wealthy, and living a high life in Atlanta or San Francisco. The book takes place in Omaha between a half-Korean Park and a curvy Eleanor who is from a lower-income family. I like that the writer is looking at a story between minority character types in YA. It's refreshing for sure, and nice to see a change in pace. So, why didn't I give this book four or five stars? Well, it was good--but it wasn't groundbreaking or make me completely involved in the character's lives. I mean I was rooting for them, but at the same time they didn't remind me of people I know. I don't know it's hard to write exactly why, but the book was good...but not great. It's cute, and I think that some of the social issues surrounding this book could have been better developed and taken this story to the next level. Who knows? I still like the author and I can't wait for "Fangirl" to come out.