Lizreader

Lizreader's Blog

The Mists of Avalon
Marion Zimmer Bradley
The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe - C.S. Lewis I've never really understood why people liked this book. I have read this book and saw the BBC adaptation and the animated version (I haven't seen the Disney live actions though...and I don't care to see them). I don't dislike it because of the allegory alone, since I am not biased with Christian influences in literature. However, unlike my favorite book "A Wrinkle in Time," which also has a lot of Christian allegory in it it does not ruin the story. The Christian allegory completely ruins this story. When I first read this book I thought I might like it. Lucy meeting Mr. Thomas was cute and interesting. However, things started to go down once I heard "son of Adam" and "daughter of Eve." At the time, I did not to to church. My parent's never made me, even though my friends were religious. I asked my mother why C.S Lewis used those terms, and she told me they were from the Bible. I knew about the Bible and the birth of Christ (the Christmas Story), Noah's Ark, and Moses crossing the Red Sea. I knew the basic stories from the Bible, but I asked my mother why he used those terms instead of making up his own? My mother shrugged her soldiers and told me it was what he intended to do. So, that got me wondering......then we meet Aslan and it all makes sense. This book cheats the reader. You think Narnia is a magical land where there are evil witches who want to destroy something so good and powerful (Aslan) and will make Lucie weep for him when she sees him getting killed at the stone table. You will want to weep too and stare in awe of the magical land of Narnia. Come on. The one thing I dislike about this book is that there is no tension. The character development is stale, and what I dislike most of all is the magic is taken away once you realize the overwhelming effect the author did when he wrote this to be an allegory. It kills the magic and whimsy out of the whole story. I once remember reading an article where even Neil Gaiman had said he felt cheated when he read the series, he had loved it and then was let down. I had never liked this book. In my mind it is overrated because the magic is leeched out by the allegory. It it was more subtler than maybe I would have liked it more, but it wasn't. It was in-your-face persistent. The worst way to write a book: "Show don't Tell" with themes. He told us blatantly through the language instead of showing us like Madeline L'Engle did in her work "A Wrinkle in Time" (and hey it's magical because she makes it magical). I know that a lot of people will get mad at me about my thoughts about this book. I don't mind Christian allegory in literature since it pops up A TON in English literature through the 1800's (Edmund Spenser, John Milton, Shakespeare, Marlowe, etc.). However, they write better conceived stories that make you think about the content in a matter that doesn't deceive you, but enlightens you. C.S Lewis tried to write a fantasy, but we all know what it really is. That's why it is a sad story to tell. It isn't original in the sense of taking your breath away, it relies on the allegory as a crutch to tell a whimsical tale. I don't mind allegories, but when they are interwoven better than they are stellar. When they are blatant, then it ruins the experience. What a shame because I really do like Mr. Thomas.