Lizreader

Lizreader's Blog

The Mists of Avalon
Marion Zimmer Bradley
The Catcher in the Rye - J.D. Salinger In terms of school reading this book seems to get the most polarizing views. You either love it, or you hate it. I happen to be in the former. Catcher in the Rye has probably one of the best UNRELIABLE narrators ever written, and that I have read thus far. He is unreliable, meaning you can't trust him. You won't like him. You will think he is a brat. You will think a lot of things, but he is IRONIC. He always says people are a phony around him, when he himself is a phony for not figuring out who he is between being a child and an adult. That's why this book is worth the read. We don't like Holden because we all have been a brat at some point in time. We've all have said things and done things we wished we never did. Holden isn't supposed to be liked because he reminds us of the pains of being confused and that awkward stage in our life when we are growing up. We think we know what is real and not, but underneath do we really?