Lizreader

Lizreader's Blog

The Mists of Avalon
Marion Zimmer Bradley
The Iron King (The Iron Fey, #1) - Julie Kagawa Actual Rating: 2.5-3 Well, I'm always going to be a critique when it comes to faerie books (or anything dealing with the fey) because I'm just hard to please. Julie Kagawa promises much in the first installation of "The Iron King" series. Knowing ahead of time that this is going to be four books makes me question where she is going to take it. However, the premise seems interesting.The thing about faerie books is that they can start to feel recycled because everyone uses the Shakespeare references of Tatiana, Oberon, Puck, and then there is Mab the Queen of Ice and Darkness. It's hard in a genre that sticks to the norm to stick out, and that is why I liked the idea of the Iron Fey. It puts a new spin on an old tale. To get down to the grit of this book it starts out with the character of Meaghan Chase and how she doesn't think she is all that spectacular and finds out, among other things her best friend is a fairy (I called her friend long before the author told us who he really was. If anyone has read a Midsummer Night's Dream they will know too. It's pretty darn obvious). Moving on, her brother gets abducted by the faeries (of course). Then it turns into an adventure story where she finds out her true heritage and finds her brother, Ethan. To get down to the grit of the story--there really isn't anything new here till the Iron Fey is introduced. I mean Meaghan is an understandable heroine, but still she feels less dimensional than I would like her to be. Robbie (Puck) is quite likeable, but then again who doesn't like a jokester?Ash--the love interest--is an interesting character. Of course, he is the traditional brooding, dark haired, green-eyed, mysterious character that our heroine instantly gravitates to. Despite the fact that this book should feel flat because of the plot and some of the characters, it manages to avoid the pitfalls (somehow). Still, there is an error when it comes to a part of the book where the character of Meaghan can't believe she has to go to New Orleans, when she was just in Detroit (and she's originally from Louisiana to begin with). It was a little perplexing, since she already had gone through it once. One, the world seems pretty well realized with a good amount of descriptions that help the reader imagine the world that Meaghan is navigating. The action is pretty well written as well. The book is light fare, but I am wondering where this series will go. I am intrigued, but I hope it picks up as the series continues. A solid first book of a series.