Lizreader

Lizreader's Blog

The Mists of Avalon
Marion Zimmer Bradley
Unspoken (The Lynburn Legacy, #1) - Sarah Rees Brennan This book is full of contradictions. It was good. It was bad. It was well plotted. It was cheaply plotted. The characters were good. The characters were bad. All and all, it's a really hard book to review so I'll write this review the best way I can.First off the positives:-Kami is actually a respectable heroine. She isn't all "ga-ga" for the male lead, but still cares enough about him. She is practical and pragmatic when she needs to be, but she doesn't sit around when things need to get done. She's not moody or insipid, and is actually quite intelligent. In the YA genre she is a refreshing read where she is not only strong, but she actually has a soft side. [Bonus: she's in the minority, which you don't see a lot of in novels in the YA genre.]-Jared is a multidimensional character you can't quite figure out...even at the end of the book. I'm not sure if that is a good or bad thing. Now the negatives:If I hadn't read "Beautiful Creatures" by Kami Garcia and Margeret Stohl I think I would have had a different perspective of this book but there were TOO MANY SIMILARITIES.Kami- the female version of Ethan Wate with her telepathic ability with JaredJared- the male version of Lena DuchennesUncle Rob- the Uncle Macon character except more of Uncle Macon's brother--Hunter to be precise The whole "source" thing sounds too familiar to the wayfinder in Beautiful Creatures. I mean now that I think about it, they don't have a lot of similarities in print. However, if you have read it you will see what I mean. The writing: Now I will say as a slight positive the humor is quite good at times, but a lot of the times it isn't realistic at all. The conversations people have would never happen in real life. Who says "floozy"? Let's be honest or canoodling? Parents might say that, but not teenagers. The humor was funny, but it would never be said in real life conversations and that is where this book fails. There's no real sense of the characters having actual conversations, but more forced dialogue. GOOD WRITERS can achieve a sense of reality through their writing by knowing how people talk, and I don't think the author has a good understanding. The descriptions: this is supposed to be a Gothic book and it takes place in England! However, the setting is quite disappointing. The one thing I liked about Beautiful Creatures was the setting (even with all the cliches) it's why I gave the book a higher rating (that and the supporting characters). The setting in this book is VERY MINIMAL. It leaves nothing to the imagination and I can't even really visualize the town or the manor that well. It is a bit annoying since I love England, yet it didn't feel like a small quaint village or town one might find in England outside of London. It lacked in that particular department. The supporting characters: were either stale, inconsistent, and entirely too predicable. I called the bad guy earlier on in the story. It really wasn't that hard to figure out. The mystery: it wasn't that well integrated into the novel. There were some parts that were rushed others were it was too long, and I don't think I've ever read a mystery novel that felt less...well mysterious. Also, my biggest pet peeve: THE MAGIC SYSTEM!AHHHHHH! I love sorcerers so I thought I would like this book, BUT NO! NO NO NO NO NO NO! There is ABSOLUTELY NO EXPLANATION AT ALL BESIDES THE BARE MINIMUM. AUTHORS: EXPLAIN YOUR MAGICAL SYSTEM! The best magical writers have a well explained system that makes sense! M.K Hobson, Brandon Sanderson, Jim Butcher, Neil Gaiman (in some of his novels), and others. I love magical systems, but well thought out magical systems. Come on, even J.K Rowling has a semblance of a magical system even though it is not all that wholly imaginative. It's the least magical novel I have ever read when it comes to wizards/sorcerers/warlocks I didn't think that was possible. Overall:This book was too inconsistent in regards to supporting characters, dialogue, setting, plotting, magical system, but it does have a strong female lead and a good male lead too. It's why it gets two stars, at least it has a decent female lead who can be pragmatic as well as intelligent (when she wants to be). It needed more editing and a better plotter. Beautiful Creatures at least had a pretty awesome lineup of supporting characters and well devised setting (the magical system was explained throughout the series), but I don't have high hopes for this book. There are a lot better paranormal books out there (CHECK OUT KELLY CREAGH'S NEVERMORE! The BEST PR in YA I have EVER READ!)