Lizreader

Lizreader's Blog

The Mists of Avalon
Marion Zimmer Bradley
That Time I Joined the Circus - J.J. Howard Updated review 4/11/13I had pretty high expectations going into this book, but what I got was less than developed characters, questionable plot points, and a love interest that was rather dull and unexplained. There wasn't much to this book that felt as fresh as the synopsis promises. The circus wasn't really that fleshed out, and it didn't have any "WOW" factor either. All the characters felt like they were put there to move the plot along, rather than to be there to create more depth to the overall work. The music in the book, which although I like in some books, didn't really feel well integrated into the novel to make it work. All and all, I do not recommend this novel because it does not bring anything new to the table. Not only could this book used some more drafting, but rather some more richness in the atmosphere and a better back story for the mother leaving and the father dying.