Lizreader

Lizreader's Blog

The Mists of Avalon
Marion Zimmer Bradley
The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight - Jennifer E. Smith I have some extremely mixed feelings about this book, but before I explain as to why I will just say this.From the little information I had, I had thought that Hadley was going to be spending more time with Oliver in the airport and would fall in love...blah, blah, blah...and all that jazz. I thought it would be uplifting and interesting. They do, but not in the way I expected. First off all, I believe this book kind of led me to believe this was going to be a very different kind of story since the boy-meets-girl part of the story only took about about 35% of the story. The rest of the story revolved around Hadley and her coming in terms with going to her professor father's wedding--even though her mother separated from her mother. She doesn't like him in the beginning and even towards the middle...but eventually that gets worked out.What do I honestly think? I was let down to be honest. Sure, there are some good parts to this book. I liked the flashback sequences to Hadley and her father when they were on good terms and the whole elephant story (very cute) and their interactions towards the end is very heartening. However...Oliver...who is supposed to be the love interest and swoon worthy I believe being college aged and going to Yale...isn't all that exciting. In fact, even Hadley really isn't that exciting. In a lot of ways this book was really bland, and a lot of the better parts were towards the ends. For a short book it felt extremely long and I felt like I wasn't really invested with the characters at all. They didn't have that spark I always look for, and the story itself relied heavily on memories and flashbacks. It's why this book is extremely deceiving. I once read a review where someone called this the boring sibling of "Anna and the French Kiss" and I would have to agree that it is. It just doesn't have a lot going for it for most of the book, but by the end it picks up. Still, I am not entirely impressed and a bit dissapointed.