Lizreader

Lizreader's Blog

The Mists of Avalon
Marion Zimmer Bradley
The Travels of A T-Shirt in the Global Economy: An Economist Examines the Markets, Power, and Politics of World Trade - Pietra Rivoli This is an interesting book looking at the travel of one t-shirt sold at a Walgreens in the U.S. I had to read this book for my Globalization Debate class, and I can honestly say it was one of the better readings so far. It introduces the reader to the real world travels of a t-shirt from where the cotton was picked from (Lubbock, Texas), where the cotton was shipped and spun into yarn and made into a t-shirt (Shanghai, China), sent back to the U.S for the print, and then where t-shirts and other apparel go when the Salvation Army and Goodwill have too much. I liked how Rivoli wrote the entire book, where she accounted for the stories that are not always told to give the people she writes about a sense of agency. At the same time, she is still very realistic about what is going on in the world with globalization and the international market place. If I have anything that is negative to say about this book is that she is idealistic in her views, but sometimes that can be very refreshing.