Lizreader

Lizreader's Blog

The Mists of Avalon
Marion Zimmer Bradley
Saving June - Hannah Harrington Real rating: 2.75It is really hard for me to review this book because in some ways I really do like it, but in other ways I really do not. I'll start with what I do like about this book: the music. I love music integrated into books because I am a big fan of music. I like the bands she chose to reference and how the main lead character of Jacob Tolan and what he thinks about music. In fact, as a character he was my favorite character because he was fully developed and an interesting lead. I liked the growth I saw in him from the beginning of the book to the end.I also liked a lot of the references from literary to philosophy, as well as the social issues that were covered as well with the protesting and everything. As a political science major I approve. However, as much as I did like some aspects of this book there were a lot of things I didn't like. I wasn't really pulled into the story that well. In fact, I ended up putting this book down quite a bit, and ended up rereading a book instead. I thought I would feel a lot of things when I read this book, but after reading "The Fault in Our Stars" by John Greene and "If I Stay" and "Where She Went" by Gayle Foreman I didn't feel much. I mean there were a lot of heavy issues in this book, but I think one reason why I couldn't get into this book was because of the main character and our narrator. I couldn't connect with her at all, and in a lot of ways I didn't like her attitude at all. Actually, I didn't really like how the whole "parent's suck" thing came into this book. I understand in each character's situations they were not the best with a divorce and an abandonment, but I really think that good parent relationships are important to focus on as well. I mean I know people deal with these kinds of things, but not every family is so dysfunctional where the parent's do not give a care about their kids. I also didn't really like how a lot of the swearing was thrown in all the time. I get teenagers swear and stuff, but when you write books make sure you have a really good reason to throw around the "f" word all the time. It gets annoying, and sometimes I wonder what is the point?At the end of the day, I really expected more from this book, but by the time I finished it I felt a bit more underwhelmed. It might just be me.