Lizreader

Lizreader's Blog

The Mists of Avalon
Marion Zimmer Bradley
The Fault in Our Stars - John Green I really don't think I can add a lot to what others are saying about this book. I was a bit worried at first since how much hype has surrounded this book. Traditionally hype and I for books don't really get along (Twilight, The Hunger Games, and Graceling among others) except in some cases (Unwind, The Mistborn Trilogy, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, and If I Stay to name a few). So, I began with some trepidation and had borrowed it from my school library, which I was surprised to see that they had a copy to begin with. Anyways, it's safe to say that I understand where the hype is coming from. It's a tremendous work that really makes you feel everything. There is humor, there is sadness, there is warmth, and there is family, there is friendship, and there is love. To me, I don't really like reading a lot of cancer books because it is a subject that is pretty close to my heart because I know so many people in my life who have had to deal with it. This book does not pretend to approach it lightly, but instead deals with it in a mature and spirited manner. The characters are fully realized individuals, and I feel like I would know them in real life. Augustus...there are no words that can describe how I feel right now. The plotting was well executed...if a little unsurprising since honestly considering what kind of book this is. Anyways, this is an excellent book, and I wholly recommend it to anyone.