Lizreader

Lizreader's Blog

The Mists of Avalon
Marion Zimmer Bradley
Beautiful Chaos (Caster Chronicles, #3) - Kami Garcia,  Margaret Stohl Updated 10/01/12JeezeI mean jeeze.One would think when they read this series they'll know what is going to happen. Instead, you just realize that you have it all wrong.This is probably one of the best books in this series. The character development of all the major characters (besides Lena and Ethan) is extraordinary. The characters I liked still have something up their sleeves. From Amma to Macon, and everyone in between (especially Macon, seriously one of the best characters ever in this series. Hands down). I'll say this series has surprised me. I thought I knew what I was getting, but what I got is so much more than I thought. This really is a step above most paranormal romances because it has a lot more than just the romance. The history, family relationships, the mythology, and all the other little things they add to the pot. This is a great third book, and I can't wait to read the final installment of the Beautiful Creatures series. Just wow. When I started reading this series I wasn't expecting much, and from all the bad reviews I've read I was hesitant. Here's the thing, sure Ethan's character is probably not how a teenage guy would really think, but he's not a jerk like a lot of other YA guys seem to be. In my book, he's a keeper for at least not being like a lot of the YA boys coming out. Lena...well she's a different story. I liked how her character grew in the first book, but the second and third kind of teetered off in my mind. Hopefully, the fourth book will right it. It's not that she's a bad character, I just sometimes want to see a bit more from her. I mean considering every other character out there has a lot going on for them, it just seems a bit weird that Lena is on the short end of the stick--character development wise. There's a lot this book is doing right. A good amount of history, world-building (however some things need to make sense like how Macon's powers work since it just seems he has one new power after another. Not that I don't like it, just some explanations would be nice), and the creepy factor is in there. The only downside to this book, unlike the other two it did lag a few times. The pacing wasn't quite like the other books for me. Also, I highly recommend reading this series to these songs:Adiemus by Karl Jenkins (live)Ankomst by Leaves' EyesNo seriously, it does something to the reading experience...even if it's in the South. The right amount of ethereal beauty and dark atmosphere in each.