Lizreader

Lizreader's Blog

The Mists of Avalon
Marion Zimmer Bradley
UnWholly - Neal Shusterman Actual rating 3.5So, I was pretty stoked when I heard there was going to be a sequel to "Unwind" (which to be honest is my favorite YA dystopian book out currently). I liked how the material was shocking, yet it was handled with some dark humor and with care. It's safe to say I had some high expectations for the sequel.It's not a bad book, it's good...it's just not what I wanted it to be. The idea of unwinding isn't new anymore, and the story is about the aftermath. The characters trudge along with the rest of their lives, and find out about unwinding's origins and try to get to the bottom of it all...The part of the story I did like was about Cam Comprix, and to bring in the whole element of creation. Not of destroying, but of creating. It was bone chilling considering....considering who he is. The whole slew of questions his character asks (at least to his being). A high point in this novel.Other than that...I don't know. I wasn't as shocked. I mean things happened in this book, for good or ill. I like how Neal Shusterman researches what he writes, it's pretty obvious that he does (I mean the fact he knows about animal style fries at In-N-Out burger tells me that he does his research). Or knowing how kids in their situation would think. It's uncanny and appreciated.It's just I have mixed feelings about this book. I wasn't as satisfied as I wish I could be, on the other hand I don't regret reading it. It's just one of the those books that I think the first book would have been enough, but the fact this is going to be a trilogy kind of makes me think that the author wants to show us more of this world.Is that a bad thing? I don't think so, but I just hope that I feel like there is going to be a third book coming out considering the ending and all. I just hope it's spectacular. This series started off with a bang...and I don't want it to end on a "meh" note.