Lizreader

Lizreader's Blog

The Mists of Avalon
Marion Zimmer Bradley
The Red Pyramid - Rick Riordan Thank goodnessThat's all I can say after trying to read the Heroes of Olympus series where it seemed that everything that made Rick Riordan successful was missing. In the first book of the Kane Chronicles, Rick Riordan reaffirms my love for what he is able to do. He can tell a good story with humor in check, action all around, and interesting characters that make you happy as a reader. Anyways, I think even in some ways I like the Kane Chronicles better than Percy Jackson.Why?I like the narration style with the tapes. It's different, even in some ways corny but still a fun way to write a book. I also like Egyptian mythology as a whole a lot more than Greek/Roman. I can't exactly write as to why, but I think it's more interesting to me than Greek/Roman mythology. Although, I will have to say that the Anubis has a similarity to Nico, except older [not sure if that was purposeful or not]. If it was I'll dismiss it, if it wasn't he needs to know how to differentiate his characters so that they're each their own characters and unique. Anyways, if you're an older reader like me a lot of the twists and turns you'll see coming (however there might be a time or two you'll question what you think you know).In terms of why I don't love this book, well it has it's slow moments and some of the characters can be annoying at times (like Sadie). I think the fact I knew who the bad guy was (or where he was residing) for a large part of the book kind of kills the love it attitude. Even still, I highly recommend this book for people who like Percy Jackson and to avoid the spin-off Heroes of Olympus series. This is the real deal, and I'm looking forward to reading the next installment.