Lizreader

Lizreader's Blog

The Mists of Avalon
Marion Zimmer Bradley
The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest: Book 3 of the Millennium Trilogy (Vintage Crime/Black Lizard) - Stieg Larsson I'll just wrap up my review of all three books into the last one, and for a good reason. This series is explosive in it's content material. It's probably the most violent series I've read ever in my life, and I wasn't disturbed as much as I should have been. I'm not sure why, but it didn't make me gag or sick.The thing about Stieg Larsson as a writer is that it clearly comes across that he's a journalist at heart. He's minimalist and very fact oriented. The writing, quite honestly, isn't the star of the novel. In a lot of ways, it's not as engaging as most novels should be. However, most people will ignore it because of the true star of the entire series:Lisbeth SalanderHere's the thing, she's an anti-hero. Meaning, we shouldn't like her because of the things she does. On the other hand, we have to love her because she does the things we wish we had the courage to do. She's done some horrible things, but like Mikael says her moral compass is actually very strong. She's a fighter, and seeing what we learn about her father Zalachenko and the life she's live, where's she screwed over by even her own country it's going to dig deep into anyone. She could have run away, but she doesn't. Remind me never to meet her in person, and get on her bad side. The one complaint I do have about this book, and all his others is that they do take awhile to get into. He writes his plots well, but sometimes I think he could pick up the pace just a bit. Other times, the pacing is well done and it goes by quickly.The thing is pacing can get in the way of enjoying a book. This book can drag at times, as with his other books. It shouldn't be like that in this sort of book, but unlike all the starred reviews I could put it down. For a day, or even a week without knowing what happened. It's probably one of the reasons I rated this entire series a 3. It has a lot of things going for it, but it isn't near the level I would like it to be given how much attention it has garnered. It's an enjoyable read, but I fear that a lot of people will not stick with it for a variety of reasons. I'm just glad I did. I'll say that I'm not one normally for thrillers/mysteries, but this was a good series with a very strong and well developed female character. Lisbeth is fresh, and entertaining to read about. Her life might not be, but it doesn't matter. I just wish I could have read more about her.