Lizreader

Lizreader's Blog

The Mists of Avalon
Marion Zimmer Bradley
City of Lost Souls (The Mortal Instruments, #5) - Cassandra Clare I have mix feelings about this book.On the one hand, if you are a fan of The Infernal Devices there seems to be some foreshadowing to Clockwork Princess. Some things dealing with certain characters. The other parts of this book...I'm frustrated about.I don't mind what Magnus did, I know a lot of people are mad about it. I think it makes a lot of sense, and I'm sure it will get resolved by the end of the series. The thing is I really, really dislike the amount of fighting between Jace and Clary. Another thing is I'm so sick and tired of Cassandra Clare describing eyelashes! My goodness it seems every time there is a scene with Jace or Clary, it revolves around eyelashes. I don't know about most people, but it's not one of the things I think about when it comes to guys.I also thought the repetition with Clary's veins and ice cracking was way overdone. Find a different metaphor. Cassandra Clare should have a metaphor limit, she uses way too many of them. She's much better about it in "The Infernal Devices" so why she uses metaphors for everything in this book I don't get it. It distracts from the pacing, and most of the time doesn't add anything to the storyline. The Mortal Instruments series is one of those series where I have a love/hate relationship. On the one hand its a guilty pleasure, fast paced, and has it's moments. On the other hand, it's plotting is terrible (predictable and corny--except for the sometimes surprises dealing with Maureen and I *think* Brother Jeremiah), the excessive descriptions that don't help the story or the surroundings (i.e eyelashes), and the constant drama going on between all the characters. I mean for goodness sakes many parts of this book made me sick with disgust. Still, somehow I get through it. Will I read the next book? Probably, but I should really stop.