Lizreader

Lizreader's Blog

The Mists of Avalon
Marion Zimmer Bradley
Hex Hall (Hex Hall, #1) - Rachel Hawkins To be perfectly honest I have some mixed feelings about this book.First off, I like books taking place at boarding schools since I graduated from one. I also like witches, wizards, warlocks, and what not. The premise seemed like it could flop, and although not anything to say to all my friends "you should read this" it's not as bad as I thought it was going to be. In fact, some of the surprises I didn't see coming--especially who the real antagonist was. The pacing was well executed, I never felt like there was a wasted moment since I finished this book in less than a few hours. Only had to put it down for a guitar lesson, dinner, and after dinner coffee. The best part of this book:Cal the grounds keeper, I'm hoping to find out more about him.Jenna the (lesbian) vampire--She's quite fun and in a lot of ways probably the best character of the entire story. Characters I was hoping to meet:Sophie's Dad, since he plays a key role in Sophie's life (well not really, but that's why I'm reading the next book is the hope that Sophie will meet him). Anyways, what I didn't like. Granted, this book is meant for the younger reader. I'm not supposed to be reading young adult books like this, and the simplicity does bother me since I know there are young adult authors who do challenge their readers. A lot of the dialogue is way too corny and insipid, I know when I was sixteen I didn't talk like that. I think this series has potential, it was just this book was too much "Gossip Girl" meets magic reform school than Sabrina meets Harry Potter. I'm hoping the second book might be better, I hope. I'm willing to give it a shot. The book got better as it went on, but it's still not spectacular.