Lizreader

Lizreader's Blog

The Mists of Avalon
Marion Zimmer Bradley
Brightly Woven - Alexandra Bracken Reading some of the other reader's reviews of this book, I was thinking this book was going to be so bad that I would want to throw it against the floor in a heartbeat. The thing is, it's not AS bad as people make it sound. In fact, I like it because it doesn't take itself seriously. I've known far too many writers who aren't that good take their work so seriously that impedes on the reading experience. Ms. Bracken is writing a fun, breezy, and adventure romp story. It's not going to be a great love story, earth shattering prose, and intelligent dialogue. Most books aren't that to begin with. I got what I wanted. A story about an average girl and wizard falling in love. I wish there were a lot of other books out there, seeing as with how many stories about vampires, werewolves, changelings, angels, or demons are out there one would think they do have a story about a girl and wizard. The writing is amateurish, yes that's true, but the dialogue, although stilted, is believable for the characters. (However beautiful, beautiful girl did get on my nerves). In a lot of ways I rather an author go the believable route than try to be witty. I will say as the book progressed, probably closer to the last 1/4 of the book it got a lot better. The pacing is good, however I wish this book was a bit longer for world building and for some scenes. Sometimes things moved so quickly and there were parts that seemed left out I was like "what?" and had to read it again. The characters are tropes themselves, paper-thin and a lot of times just added for the story. However, it doesn't mean they don't have their quirks. Wayland North being my favorite. I mean the way he acts one would think he's one kind of person, but he's a completely different kind. The world building, compared to some other fantasy books I've read, isn't done as well as it should be--however it does have some better structure than other fantasy books I've read. You think you know everything that is going to happen, but by the end there were a few surprises left. Overall, this book is a breezy read. I certainly had higher expectations for it, but it's not as bad as a lot of reviewers are saying it is. It's better than a lot of recent books I've read, just for the fact that it doesn't take itself seriously. An added bonus: It's not a part of a series! I would recommend someone who wants to harken back to a whimsical, b-grade fantasy, and "Princess Bride-like" adventure. It certainly has it's highs, along with it's lows. It's corny, light, and nothing we haven't seen before. However, does that make it so bad? No, not really. Not when the magic system is quite interesting, and certainly the characters are not as annoying as some others I've read.