Lizreader

Lizreader's Blog

The Mists of Avalon
Marion Zimmer Bradley
A Wrinkle in Time (The Time Quintet #1) - Madeleine L'Engle, Anna Quindlen I think in everyone's lives there is that one book that stands out. The one book they will read over and over again till their hearts content. The one book that changed their life.For me it's this book. No matter how many times I have read this book it makes me feel the same way.I've read this book three times. The first time when I was much, much younger and in that stage of my life where I disliked reading with a passion. Of course that changed over time. The second time in high school. The third time today. I got a lot more out of it now than before. When I was younger a lot of the references went over my head, either dealing with Christianity or Shakespeare. Now, seeing as I am much older they do not. Unlike a lot of Christian oriented books I don't think it's as preachy as some. One of the reasons I love this book is Meg Murry. She's whines, she complains, she's scared, but she's also very, very real. Think about if your father was missing, how would you feel? How about going on a life altering experience and where death is on the line or losing who you are? Wouldn't you be scared and want to take the easy way out? Want our parents to rescue us? Meg isn't the typical superhero where she dives right in with gusto. She's afraid, but she works through her fear to do what is right. That's admirable. I also like this book because it's intelligent. It doesn't talk down to readers, when is the last time I saw any young adult book with "prodigious" or "supine"? References to Shakespeare, Dante, Goethe, Cervantes, and Euripedes? As well as having science, mathematics, and a female character who is smart (in her own way)? Where times tables are mentioned, the periodic table of elements, as well as historical speeches? Most contemporary books I have seen don't challenge the reader. It's quite sad, especially in children and young adult literature. The themes are very prevalent in this book about good and evil, right and wrong, but also about love. Broad spectrum themes that can seem very trite and cliche, but done superbly. I have always loved this book for what it is. Madeline L'Engle helped me become a reader. It wasn't JK Rowling, it wasn't C.S Lewis, and it wasn't any of the other books that were popular in my early childhood years. This book was it, and from there it's been full speed ahead. Do yourself a favor and read this book. It's a timeless classic.