Lizreader

Lizreader's Blog

The Mists of Avalon
Marion Zimmer Bradley
Unwind - Neal Shusterman There are times that books really do surprise me at times. I had heard this book was good from various people on Goodreads, online, and even from the librarian who found the copy I knew was still available. The thing is when a book is hyped, is it going to be the same for you as a reader? Countless times I have found myself reading books that I know people like, love, and recommend with zeal. The thing is sometimes those books are never as good as people tell me they are. It's safe to say this book does.The premise is creepy, intriguing, and makes you think. The world building is great. Set in the distant timed United States after the "Heartland War" or the war over abortion and and what to do. It's sickening the whole concept of being "unwound," at the same time it's needed. It's disturbing, but excellent. The book follows three main characters, but interspersed with others. The main is Connor, Ris, and Trev (however characters like CiFy and the admiral are characters you want to like as well). It's a fast read, but at times it made me stop and think about a lot of issues. Even at one point it brought up something in the past from a lecture I had. In one of my political theory classes and we read Gandhi. In some of the work we read of his, Gandhi mentioned his dislike of doctors (there is a lot more than just his dislike of doctors but to summarize how they don't find the real problem and just cover it up). How this connects with Mr. Shusterman's book is the idea that the time this book takes place instead of repairing the damage before transplant--it's automatically a transplant for anyone. It's a scary notion since not all accidents that happen is a transplant needed. So instead of doctors finding the root problem, they have the parts so they transplant them instead. It's a sobering thought. It's creeping into the idea that Mr. Shusterman did do some good research for his book and might know a bit more than he is leading onto. I applaud him for it. Other than the creepy overtone, the characters themselves are not even close to perfect--but human and understanding. I think I liked Ris most of all, and Connor to an extent. I HIGHLY recommend this book for fans of dystopian books. It does make you think, and it challenges you to think about life. Be it if you're pro-life or pro-choice.