Lizreader

Lizreader's Blog

The Mists of Avalon
Marion Zimmer Bradley
Divergent (Divergent #1) - Veronica Roth What to say, what to say, what to say....I had my reservations about this book for awhile. When I kept hearing comparisons to "The Hunger Games" I didn't want to read this book. I didn't like THG, and I thought I would skip this one. In general, I do like dystopian books. I'm glad I did notThe thing is it took me two times before I read the whole book. The first time I read this book, it was the sample chapters on Amazon. I wasn't terribly impressed with how Ms.Roth began the book with Beatrice (Tris) looking into a mirror. It's not only a huge cliche for a first person narrative, but I didn't think it was a great starting point. When I finished the book, my opinion still stands it's not the best opening--but not the worst either. For all the things that Divergent does have going for it there are some downsides as well. It has lots of action, twists and turns I didn't see coming (well some of them I did), and no love triangle. I mean that's a great thing to find in YA, a book that doesn't have some kind of love triangle. To delve deeper, the character of Tris I believe is well rounded. Well executed and thought out. I knew her motivations and what she did made sense.Now onto world building. A faction society of Abnegation, Amity, Candor, Erudite, and Dauntless. It's an interesting way to build a society, and I quite enjoyed how she created them. My only problem is that (I hope she explores this in her next book "Insurgent") but how the factions came to be. It would make sense. I am wondering if she is going to explain outside faction Chicago. I also liked how it had a near-future feel to it rather than so far into the future. The antagonist was surprising for me since I was very sure it was going to be someone else, at least earlier on. So, it was great to have a surprise. The writing style:I don't mind first person, but I felt like she told me a lot more than showing me. It was jarring in sections and at times I felt like "Did I really need to know that?". Sometimes I got annoyed, other times her prose was better. I just hope that in the next book it's a bit smoother, or maybe it's just me. That could be it too. Although, her voice comes across loud and clear and it is her own. Other than that this is a solid start to a dystopian trilogy. Good characters, good plotting, and good world building. It's a good book all around, but I hope to see this author grow. She has a lot of potential, and I will be reading her next book.