Lizreader

Lizreader's Blog

The Mists of Avalon
Marion Zimmer Bradley
American Gods - Neil Gaiman It's hard to review this book because I didn't necessarily hate it, but neither did I really love it. I'm trying to think of the reasons why to explain why I feel this way. I know I am not the only one. One of them was I never felt fulfilled by the end of the book. When I read books, and I get to the end I always wait for that moment when I know it is done. I never got that with this book, even when I read the last page. I had more questions than answers, and a part of me wasn't really sure what Gaiman wanted me to get out of this book. I got some things, while others not so much. I felt like there was a lot of passages that just wandered...and leaving me wondering what that was all about. By the end of the book some of them made sense, while others not so much. Don't get me wrong, I do like Gaiman as an author but the hype surrounding this book (with all the awards it has gotten) makes me a bit suspicious. It's a good book, don't get me wrong--but I'm not exactly sure if it deserved all those awards. That's just my opinion. Seeing as people see this as Gaiman's greatest work, I would beg to differ since I am a fan of his other work such as "The Sandman" and "Neverwhere". I think it is his greatest work in terms of scope, but other than that not so much. I think in terms of characters, Shadow is an okay character. I was rather perplexed seeing as I know Gaiman has a mind for characters. It felt to me that a lot of these characters lacked something that appealed to me, and just made me feel meh about them. I felt like Neil lagged on a part of him that normally isn't a problem. What I do like is Neil's eye for seeing America, I think that he brings a fresh lens to a world that sometimes we don't explore enough. I think that's one of my favorite parts about this book (that and Neil's humor of course). The more fascinating part of this book for me, is the old and new gods idea. That is probably one of the better parts of the story, at least to see how Neil deals with the topic. I will say I'm not a huge mythology person, but I will not shy away from books about it. (Seeing as I do like "The Sandman" series). Since it is a central part of the book, it's what kept me reading since this book did waver quite a bit. When an author does that it makes me uninterested when otherwise I would be. I guess in terms of what I should say in terms of who I recommend this book for, well someone who likes books that are long for one. Two, someone who wants to sit back and enjoy a read that dabbles in some philosophical questions regarding what's really important. Three, well I guess if you are a die hard Gaiman fan you should probably read it. I would just avoid the spin-off "Anansi Boys". Four, well if you like mythology and gods and goddesses in general. Otherwise, well I'm not sure who I would recommend this book too, since I neither hate it nor love it. I don't think I would read it again, but I don't think this book is bad either.