Lizreader

Lizreader's Blog

The Mists of Avalon
Marion Zimmer Bradley
Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell - Susanna Clarke After three and half months I am finally done!My relationship to this book is, at least, difficult to say. Foremost, I really like the atmosphere and the tone of this book. It takes awhile to get into, I'll be frank about that. In fact, it took a great deal of time, patience, and half my sanity to keep with it till the very end. It was worth it.From 55% on I couldn't put it down, but before then...well it's tricky. For those believing this book will be nothing but magic. WRONG. It happens like this in the beginning there is almost no magic, by the end there is a lot of it. So any comparisons that this is Harry Potter meets Charles Dickens feels very trite in my opinion. Well it's closer to Charles Dickens meets Neil Gaiman--if you get to the end you'll know what I mean. Then again Ms. Clarke did have encouragement from Mr. Gaiman himself. I will say that this book is for people who like alternate histories, magic, pastiche style writing, and above all who have patience to read till the very end. I was told if you got past 100 pages you're good.I'll say if you can get past 450 pages you're pretty solid and should be able to finish it. It does get better trust me.I won't lie it could probably have some cuts in the beginning, but by the end the pacing was very good and the ending exquisite. Besides those thoughts I had thoughts of giving up reading this book, and I did for a few weeks or so. I'm glad that I got back into it and finished it. It was a worthwhile read and if you have the time and patience do yourself a favor and read this book. Just know it will take some time to get into :)