Lizreader

Lizreader's Blog

The Mists of Avalon
Marion Zimmer Bradley
Vicious - Victoria Schwab Thank you to Goodreads for hosting the First Reads Giveaway and to Tor Books for providing an ARC copy. I have received this ARC copy free of charge through the First Reads Giveaway hosted by Goodreads."You asked me if I ever wanted to believe in something. I do. I want to believe in this. I want to believe there there's more." Vic sloshed a touch of whiskey over the edge of his glass. "That we could be more. Hell, we could be heroes."Victor Vale and Eli Cardale are two young, ambitious, students who studied at Lockland University. That is till their ambition got the best of them and when a senior thesis turns from the theoretical to the experimental things go terribly wrong. They become EO's (ExtraOrdinaries) and their lives will never be the same again. That's the synopsis I am going to give because in all honest one should just read this book when it comes out to the general public. The book delivers, and it exceeded every single expectation I had for it. I know that V.E Schwab is also known as Victoria Schwab and has written two Young Adult books previously before "Vicious". FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO ARE MISLABELING THIS IS AN ADULT BOOK, NOT A YOUNG ADULT BOOK. The author has previously established herself in the YA category, but this is not a YA book. Bearing that in mind, I wasn't sure what was going to happen. The premise was intriguing and I hoped that it wouldn't fail. Most of the time, the concept is there but the execution is not. Well, Mrs. Schwab has surprised me. This book didn't fail to meet my standards, it soared past them to the great beyond.I'll be completely honest when it comes to superheroes I'm sort of "meh." I like watching the movies, but I am not a big fan of comic book superheroes. I like characters that have dimensions and moral dillemas. It's why I tend to like villains, or characters like Gambit who can play for the "good guys" but do have a certain rogue streak. I also don't like reading about superheroes because it's been done to death, but this book breaks some new ground. First and foremost, there is moral ambiguity in this book.The characters of Victor and Eli are well sketched and well realized individuals. They are interesting, devious, psychological, and messed-up. We have Victor Vale who has always had an underlying jealousy concerning his roommate Eli who seems "to have it all." Eli seems inconspicuous but as Victor notes is hiding something. Hiding something indeed. The characters have deplorable actions, but they make sense in the story. They kill, manipulate, and most of all they both think they are doing the right thing. It was delicious and refreshing. It's dark, yet fun. Right up my alley. Besides, Victor and Eli there are other characters from Serena and her sister Sydney to Mitch (who I quite like a bit) to Detective Stell. The characters are all well realized, but you can't help but liking Dol, Mitch, and Sydney because they balance Victor quite well. Serena and Eli is a different story all together. PlottingThe plotting was well done. The story is told through multiple point of views and the time changes. It's not confusing at all. Every chapter heading has the time and place, and every chapter follows another. I was never confused, and couldn't wait to find out more about the characters. I have nothing negative to stay.PacingFor most of the book this is a page turner. There are a few points it does lag though, but it picks up quickly after that. WritingOn the one hand, it's nothing special. On the other hand, she has a knack for a few great lines of dialogue or wording. Overall, it's good and tells and shows us the story well. I can't really complain. It's not too verbose and it's not underdeveloped. Just the right amount of everything. ConclusionAs you can see, I really don't have anything negative to say about this book (besides a few lagging moments in the pacing). It's a really well done book and there's not a lot here that I can critique. If anything I wish Serena was developed a tad bit more, but it's nothing major. I reccomend this book to anyone who likes moral ambiguity, superhero works that are not what you expect them to be, and for those of you who like villains because this is a pretty delicious work. All and all, well done.